Sweet, Savory and Smoky Butternut Hummus
- 1 lb. butternut squash, cubed (about 4 cups)
- ⅓ cup olive oil, divided
- 1 bulb garlic
- 14 oz. can or 1¾ cups cooked chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp. tahini
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray or line with parchment.
- Toss butternut squash cubes with ½ tablespoon of olive oil and arrange in a single layer on baking sheet.
- Cut the top off of your garlic bulb. This should cut into the tips of each (or most of) the cloves. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and wrap loosely in foil.
- Place garlic and butternut squash in the oven. Toss the squash cubes after about 15 minutes.
- Remove squash when the cubes pierce easily with a fork, after about 25-30 minutes.
- Remove garlic when the cloves are tender and beginning to brown, after about 40 minutes total.
- Allow garlic and squash to cool a bit.
- Remove the roasted garlic from the shell by squeezing gently. The garlic should be soft and spooge out through the openings you made when you cut into the top of your bulb.
- Place squash, garlic and all remaining ingredients in food processor bowl, including any remaining olive oil. Blend until smooth.
Here is the hummus with some black olives as the mandala centre of a platter of veggies and rainforest crackers. This dip would be equally good in a wrap, on pita or in a sandwich. I also added a bit of chipotle just to give a touch of heat and more smokiness.
Thanks to Alissa at Conoisseurus Veg: http://www.connoisseurusveg.com/
Her site is filled with delicious vegetarian and vegan recipes that look amazing. In keeping with the season, you might want also to try out her pumpkin, chocolate chip cookies as well!
Here are the great nutrients you would get if you ate a third of this recipe. You can see how a couple TBSP of this on a sandwich, pita or cracker can totally boost your nutrition in-take for the day! Squash is really high in Vitamin A and C and the chickpeas are a cheap way to boost your calcium and iron.