For Faelan, Ryan and Anya, students living in Chinatown, Victoria, THE Breakfast is a great Sunday morning meal. This dish has endless variations and can be made the night before, or you can throw it together, jump in the shower, have a good strong coffee and it will be ready.
Here are Faelan’s directions for
” THE Breakfast”
- Cube any kind of bread and fill a baking pan ¾ full. (Bread can be dry or stale, but not blue).
- Cook bacon, sausage, ham or chorizo. Drain, cool and chop.
- Fry crushed garlic and vegetables in olive oil (you can use peppers, mushrooms, broccoli, spinach, artichoke hearts, asparagus, kale, olives . . . . .). Add salt, pepper, chili flakes, hot sauces or other herbs and spices to taste. Faelan has also been known to throw in various left overs – pulled pork, taco fillings, pasta sauce, stir fries . . . . . . .
- Whisk 6 eggs with two cups of milk. Add to bread and mix everything around with hands until evenly distributed. The bread should be moist and there should be some of the eggy/milk mixture left on the bottom. If not, add more milk.
- Sprinkle with lots of sharp cheddar cheese.
- Bake 30 minutes at 350 degrees. Eat with Thai sweet chilli sauce, salsa, sour cream, hot sauce of your choice or just enjoy on its own.
Faelan, Anya and Ryan adventuring with friends in South America. THE Breakfast has also been concocted in the odd hostel in a foreign locale.
With a good cast iron frying pan you could add the bread and meat right onto the fried veggies, mix around and bake. Saves on some washing!
A Sweet Variation on the Same Theme:
Shaun Shelongosky, host extraordinaire on the InnChanter, a gorgeous boat B & B near Tofino, makes a bread and egg Strata that tastes like puffy French Toast, but is much easier for a big crowd. It is great with maple syrup and French Vanilla Yogourt.
http://www.innchanter.com/?p=356 (Apple Puff Pastry Recipe)
The InnChanter and its lovely dining area where you can eat Apple Strata after an early morning walk through the rainforest and a soak in Hot Springs Cove.
Thanks Shaun and Faelan!!